[CQ-Contest] CQWW - Excessive Bandwidth

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Mon Nov 4 09:06:27 EST 2013

The CQWW sponsors are leading the way in defining and,
hopefully, clamping down on unsportsmanlike conduct.

They say " "Examples of unsportsmanlike conduct include.....
5. Signals with excessive bandwidth (e.g., splatter, clicks)"

Anyone who uses SDR-based panadaptors, including the Elecraft
P3, can recognise and measure wide signals instantly - by just
looking at them.

It seems to me that if we had an agreed method of reporting
excessive bandwidth, contest sponsors could confirm it for
themselves by checking their SDR recordings - using times
and frequencies from our Cabrillo logs.

The question arises, how would each of us indicate wide
signals from other stations we work - not to mention the
ones we might prefer not to work.

The ones we work are easy.  My suggestion is to add /Q to
the callsign logged.  I'm using Q, because it cannot be
confused with another country's callsign - no calls begin
with Q.  There may be implications for dupe-checking with
some software, but nothing that can't be supported with a
few extra lines of code.

There are other options, but I would not consider varying
the usual 59(9) reports because it would take longer.

73,
Paul EI5DI