[CQ-Contest] Automation = freedom from non-essential tasks

jpescatore at aol.com jpescatore at aol.com
Thu Nov 21 05:10:48 EST 2013

Two sided coin - I haven't had to shift the transmission in my car for a long time, but I don't think that is really an essential skill.

Ditto using matches to start my grill, a hand saw to cut firewood, a pencil to write a memo, pulling a cord to start my boat's engine, etc.

My grandfather used to talk about cranking his car to start it, having to stir peanut butter before you could spread it.

Technology, for better or worse, tends to redefine "essential" skills.

Of course, every time there is a busted spot and I hear 100 callingS9=20  BY5W I flip the coin back to the loss of essential skills side...

John K3TN