[CQ-Contest] Classic - Doing what was intended?

RT Clay rt_clay at bellsouth.net
Sat Nov 30 09:21:23 EST 2013

>During the commentary leading up to the category creation, there was lots of
>discussion about this Category "creating" more activity as operators who
>were demotivated to ever be competitive at 48 hours would be newly motivated
>for a 24 hour competitive event.  It would be interesting to see if that, in
>fact, happened.  The notables NOT operating as much are easy to see.  The
>others would not be easy to see.
>

>Did anyone on the reflector actually operate 24 hours this year in either
>mode but last year, or the last 2 years,  operate 15 - 18 hours or less?

Despite what has been said, Classic is NOT a 24 hour event! To be competitive you

have to have the full 48 hours free and be able to choose the best operating
periods as the weekend progresses. That only helps the people who already have the

weekend free but want to sleep.

I did 13 hours in CQWW CW. I might have operated 24 if there was a 24 hour category, 24
hours straight (like IARU which I do usually operate in). Yes, you can do 24 hours straight

and enter as Classic, but not if you want to be competitive.

Tor
N4OGW