[CQ-Contest] What rig to choose for a one-time fieldday MM setup?

Jack Haverty. k3fiv at arrl.net
Sat Nov 30 13:16:21 EST 2013

If each of your stations is going to also have a computer to run a logging
program, you might want to consider a Flex-1500 as the transceiver, simply
using the same computer as you use for the logging program.

This is of course not as good as a "real" contest station, but it hits many
of the requirements you listed - small, inexpensive, etc.

I've been using a Flex-3000, coupled to an inexpensive ($300) PC, with N1MM
as my logger, for several years now and I'm quite happy with it.   A
Flex-1500 is smaller and less expensive than my 3000 and almost as
capable.  Coupled with a laptop and an amp it might be worth considering
for your fieldday use.  Even a Flex-3000 with laptop might meet your needs,
providing 100W without an amp.

I've also heard that the Flex rigs are actually on sale right now (it's THE
major shopping weekend in the US).

73,
/Jack de K3FIV