[CQ-Contest] Where to Draw the Line was: Re: Does Using ViewProp Make You Assisted

Yuri Blanarovich k3bu at optimum.net
Sat Nov 30 20:10:23 EST 2013

Ham radio is the technical sport/hobby. Uses gadgets, equipment, radios,
computers, antennas.....

Why is it so difficult to consider ASSISTANCE by other person, operator,
human being???
We should be free to apply technology in OUR SHACK as part of the
equipment.
Our own antennas (within QTH definition), radios, computers, gadgets,
software are part of our station and whatever they do is part of our
effort/equipment. Skimmer using our antennas at our location is part of
equipment.

Assistance by another operator, human being, or equipment outside of our
station (via internet or whatever) remote receivers, would be ASSISTANCE
and put operator/entry in ASSISTED category.

This classification would clear the ambiguity in the "ASSISTED problem"
and promote use of technology in our shack and separate the assistance
from the outside, which is the real delimiter.

Otherwise where do you stop at the assistance?  Internet, keyers,
computers, logging programs,....???

Skimmers used at one's station would minimize the crazy pileups via
internet skimmers. Why are we using internet and reverse beacons
anyway? The art of hunting is diminished to hunting in the ZOO!

Just like DXCC was destroyed with NETS and LISTS, the contesting is
being destroyed by weird logic and gadgets being considered
"assistants".

Just my two koppeckes. Frankly, I am being turned off from my second
love of contesting, just like lists and nets poisoned my love of DXing.

Can we use some logic??? What's next? Looking out of window for storm
clouds is assistance???

73 de OF Yuri, K3BU.us
www.MVmanor.com