[CQ-Contest] How to Confirm a QSO

Richard Ferch ve3iay at storm.ca
Mon Sep 2 13:02:20 EDT 2013

I'm not a phone operator, so perhaps I'm missing something, but how is
"twenty-five" or "two five" shorter than "thanks"?

More importantly, though, I think that sending his exchange back to him
opens up a whole new set of possibilities for misinterpretation. Suppose
that when you say "twenty-five" or "two-five", he thinks he hears
"thirty-five" or  "twenty-nine" or "zero-five" or ...? If he thinks you
miscopied his exchange he is likely to come back with "no, no
twenty-five twenty-five". Indeed, if he thinks you said "zero-five" he
might even worry that you copied his call sign as KA1xxx and start
repeating his call sign. Alternatively, if he somehow thinks you are
repeating your exchange he will probably repeat his exchange, or perhaps
ask you for a repeat. Meanwhile, other stations are calling you thinking
your QSO was completed. The result is a bunch of QRM and wasted time.

A simple "thanks" makes it very clear to everyone that the QSO is over
and you can both move on. Repeating part of his exchange suggests that
the QSO is not yet over, possibly resulting in confusion. Similar
comments apply to other modes.

73,
Rich VE3KI