[CQ-Contest] Contester opinions on AL800H amp

Ktfrog007 at aol.com Ktfrog007 at aol.com
Sat Apr 5 07:54:23 EDT 2014

Any idea how well it performs and holds up on RTTY in contests?  What
power can it be safely run on RTTY?

73,
Ken, AB1J

In a message dated 4/5/2014 03:13:31 GMT Standard Time, xe2b at outlook.com
writes:

I've  been using it since 2000  mainly on contests. It has resisted
several operator errors and it has survived unscathed. Great  amp!

Conectado por Motorola

Jeff Kinzli N6GQ  <jeff at N6GQ.com> escribió:

Hi all, I'm looking for an amp that  fits the following criteria:

- Cheap
- Lightweight
- 1500w  output

The amp will be traveling with me to locations where parts  are
unavailable and where the amp may be seized by customs, or just  plain
lost or stolen. This is the reason for cheap and  lightweight
(potential for loss, traveling).

The amp that seems to  fit these criteria is the AL800H. 1500W in a
relatively compact 52 pound  box (self-contained).

I'm interested in feedback from contesters that  use the AL800H in a
contest situation, more than just S&P and in  environments where theres
dust, heat, etc. I know I can't expect everything  from a cheap amp,
just trying to get a feel for whether the AL800H would  make it through
a 48 hour contest as a primary run amp.

I also  understand there have been some improvements made to the amp
recently that  might make it more robust. If anyone has info on that
its  appreciated.

Replies off-reflector are fine, and if anyone is  interested I'll
summarize results.

Thanks much,
Jeff  N6GQ
CQ-Contest mailing  list