[CQ-Contest] The two/four-point rule in WPX

Kim Östman kim.ostman at tut.fi
Mon Apr 7 12:26:17 EDT 2014

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your thoughts. To move beyond impressions, let's take a look at
what the data say.

I combed through the WPX results articles for 2005-2013, i.e., all that are
currently available at cqwpx.com. To make sure we only look at serious
entries, I included only the categories that can with certainty be said to
be very competitive throughout most of the world: SOAB HP, SOAB LP, and
SOSB10-160 HP, all unassisted.

During 2005-2013, the number of top spots (total: 9 x 8 = 72) has been
divided by continent as follows:

AF: 18
AS: 2
EU: 18
NA: 6
OC: 4
SA: 24

Of the EU top spots, 15/18 are in SOSB80 and SOSB160, which clearly do favor
the high station concentration in EU. However, that means that ONLY 3 are
actually left for EU in the other, more competitive categories.

In the SOAB HP category, which is arguably the toughest and most respected,
we have the following number of top-5 finishes per continent:

AF: 12
AS: 3
EU: 1
NA: 15
OC: 4
SA: 10

North America with its 2/4-point exception has 15 top-5 finishes, i.e., the
most, and 4 of them are victories. Europe has *only one* top-5 finish, and
let's just say that it's not because of a lack of trying. Asia and Oceania
don't fare much better.

=> EU is not the place to be for the most serious WPX efforts.

The QSO-point rule based on the continental divide is flawed and needs a
fix, as we all know. But when the North American contest sponsor tries to
tweak that big "wrong" by maintaining a second "wrong" that rigs the whole
game in favor of a select few? In political science there's a name for that
type of system.... :)

73
Kim OH6KZP