[CQ-Contest] SECRETS OF CONTESTING, CHAPTER: I CAN'T REMEMBER

Alan Dewey aldewey at aol.com
Thu Apr 10 11:04:07 EDT 2014

A rule which gives Zero points for in country QSOs would be a real disincentive for me to operate WPX.  I hope the committee does not do this.

One of the things I really like about WPX is that it is a good compromise between a DX Contest and a Domestic contest.  If you have a good location, great antennas, or a are running an amplifier - it probably does not matter as much.  You can point your antennas towards EU or where ever and run.

But , if you are running 100 watts and have average antennas, and are located in a less propagationally favored area - it is nice  to be able to work some guys for credit when the propagation is not favoring you on the high bands.  If you can somehow come up with a call with a rare prefix (even if still located in W/VE) - so much the better.

If WPX goes back to zero points for in country QSO, this basically becomes another DX contest.  The guys in the black whole with 100 watts or low antennas go back to the end of the line.

As many have pointed out, a universally fair scoring system is next to impossible.  In contests like this, I am much more concerned about how I do compared to others in my geographical area and category.

73,

Al, K0AD