[CQ-Contest] The intricacies of CW contesting habits.

brian coyne g4odv at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 06:05:05 EST 2014

Ernie,When I perceive that a caller is either a novice, or such as yourself an op who is using mechanical assistance then I make an effort to assist by switching over to the hand keyer, especially where my s/n exchange gets into 4 digits.
It is counter productive for a running op to ignore the signs of a lesser skilled op becaus repeats slow down the rate. You mention your 'sabotage' tactics are needed only once in some 500 contacts for you so the problem is not so bad. and the majority of ops will make an effort to accommodate you when you request a fill.

 We welcome all levels of competitors as they increase the  activity and it also increases the fun to have  callers from far away places such as your own. However let me make a request to ops in your situation which is
(a) make sure that your code reader and rx eqp't is up to the job that can deal with qsb & qrm to the best level possible in your situation to reduce the number of repeats you ask for  and(b) make an effort to learn abbreviations commonly used on cw mode such as cfm, nr,  rpt, pse, etc.
The thrust of your post is a request for common courtesy which, in my view is not unreasonable, my request on behalf of we more experienced contesters is to ask for reciprocal consideration in aspects mentioned above.
In last weekends ARRL 10M contest I had three cases of ops who, I guess, were using code readers.. Two were my  requests for fills due to qrrm, qsb or whatever and the third was for confirmation of a callsign, I sent the call I heard plus the exchange then got to thinking I have never come across this prefix before so better make sure that I got it right, unfortunately not all ops correct you if you get something wrong.. In all three cases my several requests were met with complete silence, these were not long distance callers but all EU's with good signals. . If they did not read my final msg of 'SRI NIL'  then they may be later surprised to find that they did not get my mult.
73  BrianC4Z / 5B4AIZ.