[CQ-Contest] Need clarification from DL1MGB

Martin , LU5DX lu5dx at lucg.com.ar
Wed Dec 17 10:46:02 EST 2014

Hi Pedro.
I have attempted to comment in your blog post with no luck.
Your analysis is not useful to prove who has cheated and who has not.
Statistics here do not solve the problem, at least in the way you outlined
your analysis.
Contest organizers would have used that approach for a long time if it was
useful. But that is not the case.
You cannot determine who was assisted and who was not based on QSO and
multiplier totals. It is totally different than that.
Cheaters know what to do and how to do it in some cases. They would take
unfair advantage in a way that in your charts they wouldn't be spotted at
all.
That has been happening for years and that has been hurting contest results
adjudication and even WRTC qualifying runs for a long time.
I will not explain here how cheaters are detected, but it is certainly not
using the method you used in your article.
Stats are useful under certain circumstances, not in this case, even less
when it comes to validating power levels. That is why the distinction
between LP and HP will not work either.
Candidate WRTC ops should be forced to qualify in SOAB(A) HP. That reduces
to of the hardest to detect possibilities of cheating (Power beyond the
entry category limit and unclaimed assistance).
In twenty six years of contesting, I've seen it all. And we all continue to
see fishy stuff.

Martin, LU5DX