[CQ-Contest] Clarification from DL1MGB

Michael Adams mda at n1en.org
Thu Dec 18 18:51:42 EST 2014

I realize that the change is described as "final", but I'll offer a thought (since I've managed to be quiet so far).

First, it should be noted that I'm probably not going to be in the running for a WRTC seat.  Accordingly, I don't feel personally affected by the selection rules.  I'll play in contests as my schedule permits, picking classes based on my interests (and rules), without WRTC qualification influencing my decisions.  These comments are made as someone enjoying the prospect of watching the qualification race.

While I mostly agree with the notion that Unassisted and Assisted are sufficiently different that they shouldn't be combined for competition purposes (although I still wonder how much of a difference it makes among the best of the best), one of the most intriguing things about the qualification rules as originally proposed  was that they sort of removed the stigma associated with assistance.

Giving assisted scores 0.9 weight undoes that.

I can see that there is some sense to the idea that because WRTC teams play unassisted, unassisted operating should be emphasized in qualification, there are other elements of WRTC that don't translate to the qualifying events:  they're M/2 stations, they will probably be using special pileup-generating callsigns, etc.

The teams that are most successful at WRTC will be those that can work the most stations with the most accuracy... and I'm not sure that assisted/unassisted status really matters.

If there is still any possibility of reconsideration, please think about revising the rules such that:
+ assisted scores get 1.0 weight; but
+ assisted entrants are compared against the highest single operator (assisted or not) score

If the committee feels a need to nudge potential WRTC entrants to demonstrate their skills unassisted, it might be better to simply limit the number of assisted scores that can be used for qualification ... or to require that WRTC candidates submit some minimum number of single op low power unassisted scores as part of their application, as they are the closest analogues to WRTC conditions, assuming the committee continues with the "field day style" WRTC.

Adopting one or both of those changes would also open the door to some fascinating strategy decisions for us mere mortals to observe from the sidelines.

Michael Adams | N1EN | mda at n1en.org