[CQ-Contest] Clarification from DL1MGB

Mats Strandberg sm6lrr at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 00:45:46 EST 2014

Martin,

I would challenge you and claim that Brian is very correct on his statement
about power cheating.

You are correct about lack of solid statistics on cheating. The same
applies to sports and doping. Found and proven cases are few compared to
reality. Grey zone is huge is sports as well as in WRTC qualifications.

Yes, packet cheating is cheap, but reality is that packet cheating itself
will not make anyone qualify to WRTC. The cheater also needs very
competitive antennas and operator skill. Usually a packet cheater also
cheat with power... So I am more afraid for the non-packet cheater but
still a power cheater. In that category we have the challenge.

Issued Red cards in contests has no statistical value at all. We know by
fact (at least I do), more than one WRTC operator have managed to avoid Red
Cards for Unclaimed Assistance, but still ended up in WRTC as a result of
power cheating. To prove power cheating requires physical presence at the
station - or sound and very extensive RBN analysis, with several proved
reference stations in the very same geographical area as reference.

What contest organizers need to do, is to apply Out of the Box approach to
packet cheating and involve statistical expertise on highest level, for
development of methods how to prove packet cheating. It is possible
according to my view to detect the majority of cluster cheaters at least
among those who compete for WRTC.

Main problem however is lack of ethics among many of present WRTC
participants, who with red faces become quiet when issue is brought up.
There is a quiet understanding and agreement that says: "As long as I do
not use more power than my competition and still qualify - I am fine". This
opinion has to change if the right competitors for WRTC shall be selected.

Packet cheating is nothing compared to power cheating, believe me!  And...
With 700 Watts and extensive calling to big guns with good enough signal
levels under many years, I am pretty sure I know who runs legal or not.

73 de RM2D, Mats