[CQ-Contest] Radio Laws of Propagation....Have they been re-invented?

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Thu Feb 27 10:58:44 EST 2014

The conversation of what power number to use is as frequent as what
check is ok in SS.

Does it really matter what you sent as long as it was the same number
the entire contest and actually claim the power category you were in...
If I send 100 and am running 1000 and claim HP does it matter?  If so why?

Using an odd power number in the past might have been helpful at
reducing dupes before the advent of contest grade logging programs.

 From V47 long ago we gave out KW or thousand on SSB.  On 10m we might
have been getting 800w out on 80 maybe a bit more than 1000.

The issue at hand is the accusation of a station running far more power
than is being claimed.

I had a huge raging pileup on 10m from J6M and I tried turning down the
power to 1 watt to help with pileup control, thinking that many stations
would not be able to hear 1 watt and the pile up would thin.  That
tactic did not work.

Can you really tell how much power a station is running?  No. This is
one rule that is entrusted to the integrity of the operator(s) and many
are more inclined to cheat than earn it the right way.

While this is one case, I have heard of many many others using the
Italian KW's, the Russian KW's etc.  Has anything ever been done? Not to
my knowledge.

With similar antennas and very close proximity I would say that the
station in question has some explaining to do.  My gut tells me that
Herb knows more than what he told us.  I think many of us know more
about these situations and stay silent.  Staying silent is not a
solution and becomes a silent affirmation of what has been done.

Mike W0MU