[CQ-Contest] CQ WPX rules, it finally happened

jimk8mr at aol.com jimk8mr at aol.com
Fri Jan 31 12:39:34 EST 2014

1.? I'd hope that a few accidental violations of a 3-qso ID rule would not result in disqualification. That should be reserved for those who persistently and flagrantly ignore the rule.

2.? For lesser violators, with the existence of SDR recordings, if a penalty need be assessed, disallowing any QSOs made after the three QSO limit, until an ID is made, would be a fair penalty.

3. A distinction should be made between serious competitors, who might gain a competitive advantage from their rudeness of not IDing, and more casual participants (i.e. the Sunday afternoon African guy who gets overwhelmed with the pileup.

Observations beyond the rule question:

1.? I find that skipping IDing works best with smooth, no fill, in rhythm QSOs. An ID serves a useful function after a QSO requiring a repeat, or after a guy who calls at half the speed of the pileup, by resyncing the pileup.

2.? With a reasonable callsign on phone, an ID takes almost no time. Just use only the letters -? K 8 A Zed? rather than Kilowatt Eight America Zanzibar. I've had 280 hours, and seen the rate meter pushing 500, while giving a callsign after every QSO in that manner. I do give out a slower, and hopefully more understandable, call with phonetics every 4 or 5 QSOs.

Of course this does not work so well if your call is VP2V/WB5WBW.

73? -? Jim?? K8MR