[CQ-Contest] Remote at WRTC: Come to WRTC 2014 Boston, Operate IARU Radiosport from Vermont, Sweden, Brazil or upstate New York!

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Wed Jun 25 10:06:51 EDT 2014

On 25/06/2014 02:00, Gerry Hull wrote:

<snip>

> SK3W/SK9HQ, Knivsta, Sweden  – Thanks to Gunnar, SM3SGP, Torgny, SM5TXT,
> Lars, KE1J, along with the operating team at SK3W, you’ll be a virtual
> operating position of the SK3W Mixed-Mode Multi-Single during the contest.
> SK3W is also part of the virtual M/M HQ team of SK9HQ;

<snip>

> PR1T, Rio de Jeneiro, Brazil – Thanks to Felipe, PY1NB, and Mike, SE2R, of
> Microbit, Inc, and Ed Parish, K1EP, we will be able to offer a remote
> operating position with the PR1T Mixed-Mode Multi-Single operation from
> Brazil.

<snip>

It seems the most natural thing in the world - operate
a contest station from Sweden or Brazil from the comfort
of your own home in the USA. After all, we have the
technology and there's no point in not using it.

There's just one slight problem - no one has yet
demonstrated, backed up with appropriate documentation,
that such transnational remote operation is legal -
not to mention the ethical issues.

It should be noted that reciprocal licences granted
under CEPT legislation apply only to visitors -
when physically present in the countries concerned.

In the absence of alternative, valid, licensing
arrangements, such remote operation is unlicensed
even when done with the full knowledge and consent
of the station owners concerned.

It would be a mistake to assume that laws applicable
to the USA and its citizens apply equally in all
other countries.

73,
Paul EI5DI