[CQ-Contest] Size of Dual Monitors

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Mon Mar 17 08:04:25 EDT 2014

I am far from a Master... but three things will drive your monitor
selection.

The first is what resolution your video card will support when running
dual monitors. If the video card does not support dual monitors, that is
your first hurdle to overcome, buying & installing a new video card..

The second is the amount of physical space you have available to use.

The third is your "eyesight"... meaning how large/small of text is
comfortable for your eyes when reading text on a monitor. For example, I
have a Viewsonic VA912b 19" monitor on a computer that will only go up
to 1024 x 768 resolution. To my eyes, the text is larger than necessary
and this eats up valuable display space.

On another computer, I have a pair of Viewsonic VA1912wb 19" monitors.
These run at 1440 x 900 resolution and the text size is smaller, but
still comfortable to my eyes. In other words, because this monitor is
higher resolution it will display an image in a smaller physical area,
thereby allowing you to pack more stuff (windows) onto the screen.

Larger monitors will often support even higher resolutions which will
allow even more items to be displayed at a comfortable size. Another
thing to keep in mind is that dual monitors allow a continuous work
area, so a monitor with a smaller bezel will be less distracting when
moving your cursor across (left to right) the physical display boundaries.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN