[CQ-Contest] Size of Dual Monitors

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Mon Mar 17 08:21:44 EDT 2014

I am scarcely a "master", but have done both SO2V and SO2R, so at least
I have some relevant experience.

I have two HP L1710s, which are standard aspect ratio 17" (diagonal).
They were cheap new as discontinued, and are currently available on ebay
used for as little as $20 plus shipping, or new for $80 or so.

I have occasionally thought about switching to a single 23" wide
monitor, which would give me similar screen space, but have not done so
for one reason - greater flexibility.  I have three computers in the
shack, two of which are on a KVM switch.  Having two monitors means that
I can continue to watch computer #1, so long as it doesn't need keyboard
or mouse input, while doing things on computer #2 - to watch a Youtube
video, for example.

I use a cheap dual-output video card in computer #1 - these are now very
common for <$40 - to drive the two monitors.  I can even go to different
resolutions if it seems desirable, though I haven't found an occasion yet.

I know that you want to defer discussion of one computer or two, but to
get my opinion in early, one is plenty.  Most software's SO2R
capabilities are designed for single-computer use, and while you could
use two, pretending to be a multi-single, that raises a whole set of
networking issues, need for two keyboards and mice or a KVM switch, etc.
A few of the RTTY guys use 2 or more, but that is inherently a
slower-moving, more forgiving mode than either CW or phone.  Better
tolearn and take full advantage of the SO2R-specific capabilities of
your software , IMO.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,