[CQ-Contest] Dual Monitors / Eye Glasses

Bob, W3IDT w3idt at comcast.net
Mon Mar 17 19:02:21 EDT 2014

As others have tried to point out: Seeing the monitor(s), keyboard,
radio(s), etc., without eye strain is a major human factors issue in
contest station design.

Prior to my recent cataract surgery (both eyes), I had two pairs of
"progressive" glasses (of various prescriptions) for many decades: one
for "distance" - roughly 4 feet to infinity; the other for "nearby", or
as Jim, N7US, calls then "office glasses" below. Not cheap, but allowed
me to function with normal-like eyesight.

Many people have disliked progressives. The KEY to good progressives is
to limit the range of correction; attempting to cover too large a range
results in a very limited band of focus to any one distance.

After the surgery, I could not see anything within about 3 feet. So, I
once again have a pair of modern "nearby" or "office" progressive
glasses. They allow me to see a monitor, keyboard, radio, papers on my
desk, etc, all with appropriate correction.

(I also have simple fixed-correction half-size reading glasses for my
reading chair. Perfect for book /newspaper distance and for seeing the
TV over the top, that is, without correction.)

So, if you usually wear glasses, measure the distance to the farthest
object you need to see easily (likely the monitor(s) or antenna selector
switches) and to the closest object (likely the keyboard unless you're a
real good touch-typist), and take those measurements to your
ophthalmologist. Add a little margin of error, and you'll have a great
pair of glasses. They work great for dinner parties, too!.

Oh, definitely keep the monitor(s) positioned so you're looking SLIGHTLY
down at the main contact entry window; that's were your focus will be
most of the time, the various information windows can be higher.

Bob, w3idt

. Robert F. Teitel, W3IDT   .
. W3IDT at arrl.net            .
. W3IDT at comcast.net         .