[CQ-Contest] No more Unassisted in ARRL VHF Contests?

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mymts.net
Sat Nov 15 14:27:41 EST 2014

I don't like the idea of removing 'assisted' categories, because
'boy-and-his-radio' should be different than
'boy-and-his-radio-and-the-receivers-of-hundreds-of-others'.

However, I would point out that the fear that removing assisted means
everyone MUST use the Internet to be competitive is a POV that ignores
existing contest records, all of which show a wide gap between scores of
non-assisted and assisted operations, all in favour of the non-assisted
operators.

In SS, some of the best "U" scores are by operators who were all set up to
use assistance but didn't.

There are theories as to why nons do better than assisted. The first being
that many contests are rate driven, IOW, a good rate beats a mult hunt most
of the time and a good rate will naturally result in picking up a lot of
mults anyway. That, coupled with the break in stride of chasing spots, hurts
the assisted scores.

The other theory is that assisted entrants aren't up to the level of the
guys entering as non. I don't buy that, since some first-rate operators do
enter as assisted.

I also don't buy the "we must kill the distinction to eliminate cheating"
argument, for this reason: If the guys who are honest about assistance
aren't beating the non-assisted, the cheaters on assistance won't, either.

So, while I would rather the distinction remain, I don't see the end of the
world in its demise, either.

73, kelly
ve4xt