[CQ-Contest] A comment from SS

Ktfrog007--- via CQ-Contest cq-contest at contesting.com
Thu Nov 20 15:51:01 EST 2014

Hi,

Many years ago, maybe 1990 or so, when we still had paper call books, there
 was a call book listing of license classes by state.  I went through the
list and found that MD had the most Extra Class licenses.  I don't remember
if it was the greatest number or the highest percentage, or both, but that
state stood out.

If you've visited the DC area recently you'll have seen the tremendous
growth in the surrounding MD and VA areas.  Rolling country vistas have  been
transformed into endless housing developments.  There's been a huge  influx
of people, many in government, defense and national security jobs,  along
with high tech industries.  Not to mention all kinds of  contractors, lobbyists
and hangers-on.  The population grows as the  government grows.  The
corridor between Washington and Baltimore is top  heavy with federal facilities
and the Dulles region is filling up, too.

This well educated and highly motivated population is full  of vigorously
active ham radio operators, so it's no surprise to see MD and  VA at the head
of the list.  It would be even more interesting to see how  many of them
reside within a 50 mile radius of Capitol Hill.

73,
Ken, AB1J

In a message dated 2014-11-19 9:05:49 P.M. Coordinated Universal Tim,