[CQ-Contest] 1980s checks in SS/SSB.

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Fri Nov 21 11:40:26 EST 2014

Maybe, Rich.  Maybe.

This wasn't a problem for me this year.  Whatever the operator sent is what I logged, regardless of what a database or online listing might have shown.

Heck, I even worked A Boy & His Radio, and copied him just fine.

Yes, it's nice and convenient to set up a database to "remember" the check associated with a call, to check for errors.

But, sometimes people use the wrong check, or deliberately pick a different check, or have a guest operator using THEIR check instead of the station owner's check.

And most importantly, since calls can and are re-issued, sometimes the check in your database pertains to the previous holder of the call, not the current one.

So if someone sends a check of "99" when the computer predicts it should be "78", especially on SSB... I go with what's sent.

73, ron w3wn

On 11/21/14, Richard Ferch wrote:

K0RC wrote:

> Actually, it's a know fact that _some_ operators change their check to try and thwart the "appliance contesters" out there. :-)

This is a classic example of cutting off your nose to spite your face.
The person who is hurt most by this is likely to be the person who
changes their check every year, because of increased requests for
repeats as compared with someone whose exchange is more predictable.

73,
Rich VE3KI