[CQ-Contest] Crimea, Taiwan and CQWW

Tonno Vahk tonno.vahk at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 14:52:08 EDT 2014

The cases are not exactly comparable I guess. It is obvious that CQWW needs
to make a decision in all those problematic cases. It is also obvious that
the rules and principles are clear about pirate operations not being
allowed. So whenever CQWW accepts a dubious country or operation it is a
one-time decision. I am sure they had their good reasons to accept Taiwan
for example.

I am amazed to see how much demagogy is written in the list here. In the
situation where any Russian calls operating from Crimea are clearly pirates
by the standards well described it would have been very difficult for CQWW
to accept them. They made the only decision that is based on the rules and
the only decision that is non-political. Anything else is deviating from the
rules and anything else would have been a  political decision and political
opinion. Not opposite!

Some people seem to actually believe that if a criminal walks into your
shack and puts a gun to your head forcing you to start signing P5 then you
should be allowed to work as P5 and it should be counted. After all, you are
not able to work otherwise and doing anything else would be dangerous for
you. A boy wants to get in the air, right?

In this unfortunate situation obviously it would be good to still find a
solution how the hams in Crimea could take part in CQWW. So far the public
has heard UARL position which has been clear and well-reasoned. There has
been no reason to doubt they represent all UR. We have not heard any common
position by Crimean hams other than rhetoric statements by a few after the
CQWW decision was announced. We did at the same time saw how a Crimean ham
UU5JHQ using UU callsign was harassed by Russian contest organizers and
DQ-ed from Russian WW Digital Contest for "foreign callsign usage on the
Russian territory"
(http://www.rdrclub.ru/news-radio/russian-ww-digital-contest/214-ruswwdigi-2
014-dq). By no means should CQWW support such action and it does show that
not all Crimean hams are happily accepting Russian calls and continue to use
their legitimate Ukrainian calls.

If it is indeed so that clear majority of Crimean hams finds that it is
acceptable for them to use Russian calls and they confirm that this is the
only way they can possibly operate then I believe as an interim solution
accepting all entries from Crimea whatever the call and counting them as
Ukraine for DXCC is plausible.

I hope all those enthusiastic advocates of Crimean hams' rights to operate
would be greeting the solution of them using Russian calls but being counted
as Ukraine till the political situation will be solved and things return to
normal. That in my mind could be a compromise CQWW could consider.

73
Tonno
ES5TV