[CQ-Contest] Crimea, Taiwan and CQWW

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 11:19:00 EDT 2014

This may come as a surprise to some of you, but the USA and the UN do
not recognize the Republic of China (Taiwan) as a country.
Diplomatically, Taiwan (BV) is part of the Peoples Republic of China
(BY). 172 of the 193 UN member countries (including the USA) agree with
this position on Taiwan.

So, applying the same logic that CQ magazine management has applied to
Crimea, QSO's with Taiwan should only be counted if they are made by
licensees of the Peoples Republic of China (BY). A BV-issued license is
not legitimate. A BV-issued license is no different than the 1B1
licenses issued by the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (which also
does not count for DXCC).

I am not saying that I agree with the position CQ has taken on
Russian-licensed Crimeans, nor that BV-licensees should not be counted,
just the inconsistency in CQ magazine policies.

73,
Steve, N2IC