[CQ-Contest] CQ Reconsiders Policy on Crimea in CQ Contests.

brian coyne g4odv at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 06:09:32 EDT 2014

As I write this the only mails in response to this change of direction by CQ Organisation have been supportive of their new stance. As my mails to this reflector can often be delayed  by up to several hours my voice may not be the first to register dissent.

Whilst it does appear that there was disquiet among the CQ HQ and Contest Committee staff I don't believe that Andy's lobbying by his original and subsequent posts here is the cause of this policy reversal, however  I cannot but help think  that subsequent reactions from subscribers to this Reflector has re-inforced/ influenced their thinking.

Doing something because it is expedient and following the likes of ARRL does not make it right or just, who is to say that ARRL got it right? Opinions are very much divided on that.

Persons outside our ham community whose Nations have condemned the actions which brought this situation about and imposed sanctions would be both puzzled and perplexed to see us freely carrying on as before as if nothing had happened.

In my view the suggestion that on a personal level we willingly work the Crimean stations and not boycott them ( I would guess anyway that a large number of entrants would not have a clue who or where UB1 is) whilst supporting the initial CQ ruling would be the right way to go. This would enable the Crimean ops to take part in and enjoy the contest and at the same time make known our dissatisfaction of their Gov'ts actions, by declining official entries in refusing to accept logs, without appearing to completely ignore the issue.

Following upon this it would be very encouraging to learn here from Andy and other Crimean ops what steps they have taken to broach their contest organisers with regard to the reverse discrimination of the operator who used his UU7 in one of their contests, that would be reciprocal goodwill.

73  Brian  C4Z / 5B4AIZ.