[CQ-Contest] High band rx arrays for contesting

Tim Duffy k3lr at k3lr.com
Mon Sep 1 20:43:06 EDT 2014

Hello Mike and Dave!

We have found that 4 squares on 20, 15 and 10 meters work very well for
hearing DX stations. Quick rotation is certainly a plus. It is amazing how
close their performance is - when compared to some of the horizontal Yagi's.

As is the case with low frequency 4 squares, the ground radial field is
critical to getting best performance (gain). For these three HF bands (20,
15 and 10) at K3LR, the 4 squares have 120 radials that are one half
wavelength long under each quarter wave element. All over lapping radials
are silver soldered at their junctions. Ground losses must be minimized.

We have been using quarter wave element four square vertical arrays on all
HF contest bands (except 160 meters) for more than 20 years. They are very
effective for DX!

73,
Tim K3LR