[CQ-Contest] Rig Comparisons for Transmitter Noise

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Sep 7 18:06:12 EDT 2014

Thanks for the link, David.

I have my own take on this, which is more generic and differs a bit from
Eric's.  Part of it is because I run SO2R feeding my mic through a YCCC
box, but mostly it's the result of my greater understanding of audio and
the fundamental causes of hum and buzz. And I prefer solutions that are
effective, free, and simple. :)

Avoiding hum and buzz without transformers is covered in

http://k9yc.com/HamInterfacing.pdf

Setting computer audio playback  levels is covered in

http://k9yc.com/USB_Interfaces.pdf

All of this advice applies to both SSB and digital modes, except that I
no longer recommend using most internal sound cards for digital modes
because inexpensive USB sound cards work a lot better.

73, Jim K9YC