[CQ-Contest] Rig Comparisons for Transmitter Noise

David Siddall hhamwv at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 09:51:55 EDT 2014

Jim,

With regard to transmitted trash and technology, at the ARRL Centennial
convention this summer NR0V received the ARRL Technical Innovation Award
for developing his "Pure Signal" software.  It runs on digital rigs such as
the Anan and any other with open source software, and with last week's
announcements from FlexRadio providing an open path into their 6000 series,
undoubtedly some form of adaptive predistortion for those radios will be
available soon.  Others will follow.  One nice thing is that continual
improvements will be implementable rapidly as new amateur transmitters
increasingly enter the digital domain.

Maybe the larger issue is the disincentive to run clean signals.  It is a
typical "tragedy of the commons" situation.  Contesters running NR0V's Pure
Signal would enable OTHERS to hear the weak ones, but would be
disadvantaged by competitors running their older technology radios (such as
the FT1000MP Mark IV as you point out) by trashing the frequency used by
the operator with the "pure signal".  In this regard, the recent rules
change in the CQ contests requiring at least halfway decent transmit
signals is a small step, and more importantly a push in the right direction.

As an aside, in this year's ARRL phone DX contest I had to substitute out
my Flex 6500 at the beginning of the contest (due purely to operator error
I later found) and I only had an FT1000MP Mark IV available.  Fortunately
it was SSB, not CW, but even then I ran it in class A hoping it would be a
little cleaner.

73,  Dave K3ZJ