[CQ-Contest] Difference between the ICE 419 419A & 419B bandpass filters

Keith Dutson kdutson at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 10 11:37:10 EDT 2014

Just to show how important equipment tests are, I used two 419's in the
following DXpeditions with excellent results:
VP8WWW - 2004 - Falkland Islands
9H3KD - 2006 - Malta
5J0E - 2008 - San Andres Island
YN2EA - 2010 - Nicaragua
YN2ET - 2011 - Nicaragua

I have two each A and B models obtained from Array Solutions.  Their
weakness is in voltage ratings of the filter capacitors.  This may lead to
high SWR when the operator switches bands, forgets to change the 419, and
then transmits through the wrong filter.

I now have cables and Bandmasters (also from Array Solutions) to switch the
419s when the band changes via PC or rig band switch.  All four have now
been modified with new caps with higher voltage ratings.

73, Keith NM5G