[CQ-Contest] Chasing W1AW Stations

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 12:56:58 EDT 2014

WB9SBD notes:
> Worked him first call and re replied with the reply etc. but then called
me by name

Several logging programs offer integration with qrz.com or hamcall
databases. This is most obvious with e.g. RTTY macros where the macro comes
back and calls me "Timothy".

If you contest even occasionally, with contests like NAQP , it is likely
your call/name/state combo is in a "history file" somewhere. See Paul's and
others comments on history files. I personally don't like history files,
but then again I do not have any trouble typing. Some other folks find
typing far more difficult.

If you do a lot of domestic contesting, then it is actually likely the op
on the far end knew your name/call from experience. A good contester is
familiar with thousands of common callsigns.

Most of the W1AW ops who come back to me with my name, are fellow sprinters
and/or CWops members I work several times every week.

Tim N3QE