[CQ-Contest] SC QSO party participation

Kevan Nason knason00 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 10:11:27 EDT 2014

With all the talk about low NA Sprint SSB activity I thought I would
mention the SC QSO party. It's coming up this Saturday.  Rules are at
scqso.com.  Participation has been low in the past and it isn't unusual for
me to be asked "Where are all the SC stations?". Todd, KN4QD, has been
stirring up interest and there appears to be far more people planning on
being active from SC this year. In case you didn't know, the rules were
revamped a couple years back. John, K4BAI, helped with the much needed
rewrite.

There are many more announced operations in the state than I ever remember
seeing. In my part of SC alone (Greenwood, Laurens, McCormick counties) I
know of five non-contesting hams who will be active for their first SC QSO
party. Two will be camping out with wires in the trees ala Field Day just
to activate rarely heard McCormick county. They are excited about it.
Another is a newly licensed General who put his first HF station on the air
just two weeks ago using a borrowed rig.

I also understand the Dutch Fork group in Newberry county will have six
people, three of which are new to contesting running their station at
Little Mountain, SC.

No, they aren't likely to be top notch contesting demons. It would be great
if you could pass the word around that the state is working on improving
activity and to make sure and work these people. Encourage these potential
new members of our contest community and at the same time improve contest
activity.

It starts 1400z this Saturday and runs through 0300z Sunday.

Thanks.

Kevan
N4XL