[CQ-Contest] Contest competitiveness

David Cockrum n5do at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 17 10:37:15 EDT 2014

As I read the responses about the history of low power, specifically 150
vs 100 watts, I think we are missing the elephant in the room.When it
comes to factors that help an operator do well in contests at the top of
the list should go antennas.We divide competitors in many contests into
three categories based on power:high, low, and qrp.Yet in each of these
categories the best scores are made by those with the best antenna systems.

For the most part the power categories divide us into groups that
correspond to antenna systems as well.The stations with big antenna
systems usually operate in the high power category, those of us with
lesser systems often operate in low power and QRP categories.

 From my point of view I have a small antenna system (SteppIR at 50
feet), but I know I have it much better than many others.After every
contest in which a relatively large number of "casual" operators are
worked, I receive many QSL cards which state the antenna is a "wire
antenna in the attic," multiband vertical, or other marginal antenna.

As long as there are communities that regulate antenna height and deeds
with restrictive covenants, contesting will continue to have a hard time
attracting new blood to replace our aging membership. No one wants to
compete in an activity in which they have little chance to do well.
Perhaps every contest should have a category for those individuals with
restricted space antennas.

73,

Dave, N5DO