[CQ-Contest] Question

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Sat Sep 27 12:31:00 EDT 2014

On 27/09/2014 14:32, ve4xt at mymts.net wrote:

<snip>

> By the way, I tend to lean more towards Hans' rule about if it's not prohibited, it's mandatory.

Really?  Here's my take on that attitude.

We appear to be in the Wild West era of contesting
where anything goes. Nothing matters but the number
of entries, regardless of the consequences.

In Dodge City (name your favourite contest) everything
is just fine and dandy.  The outlaws and the bad guys
- sorry, can't call them that (politically incorrect),
so we'll call them the innovators - are having a fine
time doing what innovators do best, running rings
round the lawmakers and shooting up the town generally.
Guess who has all the fancy lawyers!  The innovators
enjoy their work - their philosophy is "anything not
proven to be illegal, unethical, inappropriate or
prohibited is mandatory".

Meanwhile the sheriff (your favourite contest sponsor)
leans back contentedly, heels up on the hitching rail.
"Ain't it great", he says, "Nothing used to happen
around these here parts, and just look at all the
action now".

73,
Paul EI5DI