[CQ-Contest] Excessive Bandwidth Rule was: Re: Suggestion for Cabrillo -- and the phone skimmer, new idea

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Fri Apr 10 07:09:11 EDT 2015

Not only that, but the number of awards thereafter could be halved,
saving ARRL and other societies lots of money.

But seriously, folks, can you imagine the mess that would result if the
same phone ops who "amuse" us with their lousy audio added either
subaudible tones or 100 wpm CW to their awful signals.

I'm waiting with interest to see whether CQWW follows through on rule
XII (A) (5) and disciplines at least a few stations for
excessivebandwidth.  I'm not interested in outing a list of those
disciplined, necessarily, but I hope at least the number of actions
taken is made public, so that people know the committee is serious.
With the tools now available, in particular whole contest recordings and
SDR panadaptors, it should be possible to objectively define excessive
bandwidth (e.g., level in dB relative to peak amplitude, versus
frequency difference).

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,