[CQ-Contest] Where have all the young ones gone? courtesy of Pete Seeger

Joe nss at mwt.net
Thu Apr 23 10:35:32 EDT 2015

Is it a gray line here?

I always wondered about this some.  Is a "Prize" being getting paid to
operate the radio?

To me is isn't because there is no guarantee you're going to get
anything for operating the radio.

If you place last you don't get anything, if you place like in the top
ten you get a piece of paper, so no problems there.

But if you place first, in many contests you get a pretty nice plaque to
display. I have one right here on my wall from taking first place in the
Wisconsin QSO Party Single Op Fixed station in 1989. Now while that
chunk of walnut wood with the brass engraving isn't worth a K3. but it
does have value does it not? At least personally to me is does. even tho
monetarily it is not a lot.

BUT if you really wanted to be picky did I not get paid something by
getting that plaque by operating my radio?

There must be a positive way to differ between a Paid vs a prize. ya know?

But of course wouldn't it be cool that if it was possible in some of the
ultra major contests to be able to win something. like a radio or something.

Joe WB9SBD

--
<http://www.qsw.me>
QSW.Me The Place To Find