[CQ-Contest] High Rate Dual Radio CQing

Ken Low kenke3x at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 07:25:11 EST 2015

Someone commented there was no audio on the ZF2MJ YouTube video.   To hear audio of a MorseRunner run at 60wpm, click here for a sample from YT6W, a frequent HST competitor:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0xQwAh7POuw

Now imagine you hear two audio streams like that, one in each ear, for 48 hours, and you get a sense for what Dan and Jose just did.

As a comparison to world-class single-stream MorseRunner, see the HST 2015 results here:

http://www.hst2015.org/results/2014/hst2014.pdf

The top Men's score was Goran YT7AW at 4,398 points over a 10-minute run in HST Mode, with 4 Callsigns continuously.   The top Ladies score was Anna RA4FVL (I would guess she's 22 years old now) at 4,242 points.

My QRZ page shows a sample MorseRunner run at 3,232 points which equates to 324 QSO's per hour (with a single audio stream).   So the top HST guys can do about 425-450 per hour with a single audio stream, although A) they crank the Transmit speed up to 120wpm to save time (not really possible in a real pileup), and B) those 4 simulated MorseRunner stations are awfully well-behaved, and there are not 5-10 of them all zero-beat together!

What Dan and Jose did is a logical evolution of high rate contesting using existing building blocks.   Kudos to them both for the hard work they put in to reach the next level!

Ken KE3X