[CQ-Contest] Is it time that the contest sponsors officially identify SCP as "assisted?"

Radio K0HB kzerohb at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 11:30:06 EST 2015

First, I should make clear that the contest sponsor, not me, defines "assisted" for their contest, so I won't call my description a "definition".  For lack of a better term, let's call it "personal view".

Second, I don't use a "CW to text decoder" (or a "voice to text decoder" for that matter), but I can envision that such a day is in my future.

Now then, to provide my reasoning as you requested.

My personal view of assistance rests on the phrase "log-ready callsign/QRG information developed and sourced from outside my station".  The key components of that view are "outside" and "information".

Conversely, if I develop the callsign/QRG information with tools INSIDE my station, in my personal view it should not be considered assistance.

A final key point.  You should note that my personal view considers technology used inside my station to be a tool, not information.

__73, de Hans, K0HB

"Just a Boy and His Radio"™

​

​PS:  Voice recognition technology is maturing rapidly.  Will contest sponsors view it as the equivalent of a CW decoder?  If not, why not?  How about RTTY decoders?