[CQ-Contest] Category hopping

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Tue Dec 8 19:43:00 EST 2015

On 12/08/2015 10:21 AM, Maarten van Rossum wrote:

Personally I think CR3L did something clever and kudos to them for winning

M/M with a M/2 set-up (if that is in fact what they did).

Clever ? Hardly. You can argue whether what they did was ethical or not, but
there is nothing clever about changing categories.

I reserve the use of "clever" for teams like CN2AA and P33W, and the
pre-contest preparation by N6MJ for his ZF2MJ win.

73,

Steve, N2IC

I agree with Steve, N2IC, Jeff KU8E and Kevan N4XL
.and some others who’s
calls I have now forgotten.

Posts are (presumably) made to 3830 in good faith.  If someone uses that
information to swap categories to beat a fellow competitor after the
contest, it’s not clever, it’s underhanded & greasy.

What other competition do you enter in life choosing your category after the
results, or perceived results, are already in?

Personally, if I discovered a fellow VE1, 9 or VY2 had changed their
category after seeing my score or category on 3830 to get a leg up on me,
the word “clever” would NOT be the word I would use to describe them.

(Granted, normally I am not a contender
.but that aside)

Note that I have not commented on the CR3L team. I don’t have any facts from
them.

I do notice some post scores to CQWW “at the last minute” with comments on
3830 to follow.  I can only surmise these guys are jostling for position in
the WRTC race.  If they are “clever” by category shopping, I do not hold
them in a very high regard.  I posit these guys could care less what I think
and may just do the “win at all cost” thing anyways.

I like to send my Cabrillo file at the end of the contest (like 5 minutes
after) or as soon as I wake up the next morning, changing nothing.  I often
will post my 3830 results immediately after a contest.

If I am naïve and gullible, so be it.  I can sleep like a rock knowing
perhaps I am not as “clever” as the next.

Clever.

Yeah, right.

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey