[CQ-Contest] K1N DXpedition and CW Contests Next Weekend

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Mon Feb 2 09:57:54 EST 2015

   Well Jeff,

   This  situation  comes up every time a major DXpedition coincides with
   contests.  Which is almost inevitable, these days.

   One or more of four things is going to happen:

   The K1N guys will move to a less crowded section of the band for CW.  If
   there is one, for the duration of the weekend.
   The K1N guys will abandon, more or less, CW on the non-WARC bands for the
   duration.
   The K1N guys will point their directional antennas, where/if applicable, to
   parts of the world that are less active in the contest, for the duration.
   The K1N guys will beef up their presence on the CW segments of the WARC
   bands for the duration.

   And there's one other option:

   The K1N guys will operate during the contest period just as they had planned
   to do the rest of the time that they're there.

   No matter what they do or don't do, someone is going to squawk.

   FWIW, I say let's not worry about it.  If they're running CW in the midst of
   the contest, then those operating the contest will simply have to adjust to
   a crowded band.  After all, that is what we (politely, of course) tell the
   non-contesters to do, right?  So with all due respect, maybe we should
   collectively follow our own advice.

   73, ron w3wn