[CQ-Contest] Bravo - CQ

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Jun 25 17:08:50 EDT 2015

On Thu,6/25/2015 1:25 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
> But... many of us live in older houses, with iffy wiring and long
> distances among entrances of various services, making the sort of
> bonding you call for a major undertaking.

Hi Pete,

You're confused between bonding within the station and bonding for
lightning safety as required by Electrical building codes. The bonding
between grounded objects and entrances of wiring is REQUIRED BY LAW. I
had exactly such an old house in Chicago.  Our shack "ground" MUST, BY
LAW, be bonded to those grounds. To not do it is unsafe. The minimum
requirement is via the Green wire in the AC power system. Better (for
lightning safety) to run a perimeter ground to connect those separated
grounds .

> By comparison, a couple of 5-buck isolation transformers make a lot of
> sense for the particular purpose Ed described.

Power distribution and bonding inside the shack is what eliminates the
need for audio transformers.

73, Jim K9YC