[CQ-Contest] What am I to think?

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Mon May 18 12:18:59 EDT 2015

Hi Doug,

Your system should be performing superbly, something is wrong. In my
experience there's almost nothing you can do to cause a Beverage to not
perform properly other than installing it over highly conductive soil
(e.g., a salt march), installing it close to tall towers, or a variety of possible
installation errors.

The following questions relate to the pattern you should have achieved.

How high are your Beverages?

What is your ground system at each end of your Beverages? Every
ground should be independent, no shared ground rods should be
ever be used.

Are you sure that you wired all of your W8JI transformers exactly the
same? If you accidentally flip the polarity of either transformer winding
you will have big problems when you phase two Beverages.

Did you use an MFJ-259 or another suitable antenna analyzer to verify
proper impedance vs. frequency plot for each Beverage? W ith the W8JI
transformer, properly terminated Beverages should be close to 75 ohms
and the impedance will vary somewhat with frequency, the amount of
variation as you sweep in frequency is a function of how well terminated
the Beverage is.

Did you check the impedance of each of the two phased Beverages
at the end of each RG-6 feedlines before you connected them together
with your T-connector? The impedance at the end of each RG-6 should
be almost exactly identical when you use a simple T-connector to join them.
A better approach is to use a 75 ohm "magic-T" combiner (aka 3 dB splitter)
to connect them together rather than a T-connector.

The impedance of your unterminated Beverages should vary drastically
with frequency. It may be necessary to trim the length of your unterminated
Beverages to get a reasonable VSWR.

Have you tested the directivity of your Beverages at the top end of the
AM broadcast band? You should observe excellent directivity and
at night you should be able to switch among three or four stations on the
same frequency.

What are you using as an antenna switch to select among the Beverages?
Many antenna switches have poor isolation among the ports.which will
significantly degrade the performance of your Beverages.

73
Frank
W3LPL