[CQ-Contest] Preview of CQWW Rules 2015

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Wed May 20 14:39:24 EDT 2015

Thanks Dale.

One other thing to consider...

Who records their contest op... and why?

The rules don't (presently) require it.  As i read the rules, the only other mention I see is the caution (under IX General Rules for All Applicants, section 9) that recordings (to paraphrase) can not be used after the contest ends to fix log entries (which is a good thing)

I see no requirement, or even suggestion, anywhere in the rules at present, that audio recordings should be made.

Is it possible that someone might face a DQ for not having an audio recording, when no recording is mandated in the rules?

Now, I get the intent of the rule.  If someone has these recordings, and refuses to turn them over on request (presumably when there are questions about certain contacts), that's one thing.  But the wording of the rule as proposed can lead to an awkward (to say the least) situation of asking someone for something that they don't have and are not required to have, and for that someone to face consequences for not having what they're not required to have.

My problem is not with the intent.  Just the wording.

In short, if the contest committee wants those competing hard to win a category to have recordings... then say so.  Otherwise, you leave a hole big enough to drive a Mack Truck hauling a Space Shuttle through it.

73, ron w3wn