[CQ-Contest] Preview of CQWW Rules 2015

Dick Green WC1M wc1m73 at gmail.com
Fri May 22 01:10:53 EDT 2015

Comments on CWWW Rules 2015:

VIII. DEFINITION OF TERMS

2. QSO alerting assistance

I don't see the necessity of this change. Having just a call sign or just a
multiplier doesn't provide enough information to complete a QSO. You need
the frequency. Station identification (call sign or exchange or multiplier)
and frequency are the necessary and sufficient information that defines "QSO
alerting assistance". The only thing the change does is prohibit
single-frequency CW decoders, which provide no competitive advantage and may
be needed by ops with hearing problems.

IX. GENERAL RULES FOR ALL ENTRANTS

9. (Correction of logged call signs and exchanges)

The phrase "or other methods" essentially prohibits *any* editing of log
entries for completed QSOs during or after the contest. As I read it, this
means you can't correct a typo if the QSO has completed because "other
methods" includes using your eyes and brain to detect an error. Suppose you
send with a mic or key, and make a typo in the entry window but don't see it
until after the QSO completes and you hit Enter. If you don't correct the
mistake, you will bust the call or exchange and the log won't match what you
sent (double fault!) If you correct the mistake after the QSO completes,
you've technically violated the rules. Of course, there's no way for the
committee to know that  you did this, but for people like me with fat
fingers, I may have to violate this new rule hundreds of times in a contest
and that's going to make me feel very guilty!

I'm wary of a prohibition against any editing of the log whatsoever during
the contest. It's always been acceptable to correct typos during the
contest. I think the previous rule was sufficient -- the log must match what
you sent and received, and you can't make any changes after the contest.

X. LOG INSTRUCTIONS:

1. (accurate frequencies)

I'm fine with this, but the standard of accuracy should be stated. Are we
talking to the nearest KHz? Nearest 0.1 KHz?

B. Observer Program

There have been a lot of comments on this already. I'm hoping the intent is
that the committee may, in advance of the contest, ask a station to permit
an observer to visit during the contest or to supply a recording after the
contest. I'm fine with that, as long as sufficient notification time is
provided. But the wording in the preview can be interpreted to mean that a
recording might be demanded after the contest.

73, Dick WC1M