[CQ-Contest] Distance-Based Scoring

Ward Silver hwardsil at gmail.com
Wed May 27 10:08:15 EDT 2015

 > Incentivising stations to beam to all parts of the world thereby
 > making it an all inclusive competition (after all it is called a
worldwide
 > contest). There is nothing more frustrating in a contest than hearing
 > stations who cannot hear you because they are not beaming your way and
 > especially when they are forlornly calling CQ.

I made a proposal some years ago for a "coverage" contest that could be
run as an overlay to any existing contest.  Extra points would be
awarded based on the number of clock hours (0000-0059, 0100-0159, etc)
in which you made a QSO with some designated area.  Let's take grid
fields, perhaps: New Zealand populates the RE and RF grid fields.  For
each clock hour during which I make an RE-field QSO (duplicate or not)
on each band (6 band-QSOs available per clock hour) I get, say, 1000 points.

There are 18 x 18 grid fields (324 total) of which about 80 (based on a
casual glance at a map -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maidenhead_Locator_System) could be active
from land-based stations.  With 6 bands and 48 hours, that results in
23,040 band-clock-field bonuses to ring up for 23 MEELYUN points.  Sound
like fun?

All contacts could follow the CQ WW exchange rules, for example, and
thus be perfectly valid for both the mainline contest and the coverage
contest.  Dupes are snipped out by the log checking enzymes without
penalty.  Grid fields could be available via a callbook lookup function
or something like that.

We would then change from yelling, "What's your call?" to "What's your
grid?" but that's a minor issue :-)

73, Ward N0AX