[CQ-Contest] Remote op & Who is this guy, really?

Gerry Hull gerry at yccc.org
Thu Nov 5 20:14:03 EST 2015

I'm sorry if I took your comments in the wrong way, Drew.

I'm all about contrary opinion.  My point about outsiders is that we are
discussing something very technical about a particular aspect of
contesting.  "Sounds like it might be XXXX"  doesn't pass the smell test.
You have to understand the detail.  That was my point.    Outside
perspective is fine.  In our current world, people are quick to form
opinions without all the facts.  I don't think you are one of them.

By the way, for this SS, it turns out the NT operation will be classified
as a Multi-Single.  Due to weather issues and a non-functioning Alpha
amplifier, Hal will do all the QSOing, but J will be participating,
manipulating antenna controls, a manually-tuned backup amplifier, and
adjusting antenna tuners.   So, if anyone wants to go to NT (or do remote)
SOHP, it's WIDE open.

We can all discuss all the issues here, but they have been long-settled by
ARRL (for SS) and by CQ, etc for other contests.   Perhaps if enough people
dislike remote so much, the pendulum may swing the other way.  Somehow, I
don't think so, though.  We all love TONS of Mults, and stations to run!
(evidenced by all the talk of self spotting.)

Many of us can create scenarios that conservatives would find incredulous.
   Yes, Glenn.  In your question "So did you work " Bouvet " or a neighbor
?"  you worked Bouvet.  The RF did not come from your neighbors house next
door.

And Dale, you can't change the rule about the 1,000 foot circle, even if
you don't like it.  It's been settled.

73, Gerry W1VE

PS: To those who say the fault line of opinion lye with the age of the op,
I disagree.  I've been playing the contesting game for 40 years now...
WA4UUX, AK4L, VE1RM, 6Y1V, 8P1V, VP2M/VE1RM, CY0SAB, P40LE, W2SZ, etc...
100s of multi-ops.   I love this hobby and want to expand horizons.
Nothing sinister.  I would say if your main interest in contesting is
chasing DX, you may have a stronger opinion in the negative.  DX'ers do not
like change.

Keep the opinions flying!  Just don't forget to get on the radio.

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 10:32 AM, Drew Vonada-Smith <drew at whisperingwoods.org