[CQ-Contest] Leveling the playing field

Tom Osborne w7why at frontier.com
Tue Nov 10 15:38:07 EST 2015

Jim is right on on this.  Try doing this from the PNW.

It is hard to get excited about a contest that gives us about 4 or 5
mults that we can work consistently on 80 and 160.

We have VE, XE, KL7, KH6, and in the morning maybe a few JA, VK, ZL
stations.  Used to be we could run JA for along time but those days are
now long gone.

Try to get through the SE USA pileups to South and Central America with
a mediocre station.  Europe - that's a pipe dream.  BIG M/M stations
long to be able to run Europe.  Being on the East coast you have a chip
shot to Europe and I'd say it is probably fun to be able to run Europe
all nigh on the low bands.

And then take a station in Europe that has 50 countries within 1000
miles.  Plus the Russians and Africans. Plenty of activity there.

The CQWW is definitely a boring contest from here with a markedly 'less
than stellar' station.  At least we get lots of sleep.  73
Tom W7WHY