[CQ-Contest] Reducing Pain in Ears and Bum while Contesting

Ed Sawyer sawyered at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 23 05:48:07 EST 2015

"I have been contesting for many years and find that the pressure on the
ears from the headphones and the pressure on the butt from prolonged sitting
are both painful.  I use Heil headphones and asked them about the headphone
pressure problem at Dayton.  They said to just pull the sides apart and
stretch the band.  It won't break.  I know this sounds stupidly elementary,
but I was always afraid of breaking them so I had not tried this."

I found the Heil headsets, while wonderful, way too bulky to do 45 hours in
a contest without fatigue and even pain at the end.  I now use the Bose QC15
with a boom mic add on and it is wonderful.  The Heil sits in the draw as a
back up or when I multi op with my wife Christine, KB1PQN.

For sitting, I have found that once each day in the contest, standing for at
least an hour, helps a lot.  I am able to adjust the screen and prop up the
keyboard.  I usually do it during a pretty high rate hour since I am not
able to SO2R at the same time.

73

Ed  N1UR