[CQ-Contest] Why SuperCheckPartial makes you assisted

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 06:04:13 EST 2015

No mainstream event categorizes SCP as assistance.

Now there are some specialty events (or events-in-events) like WRTC, where
SCP databases were not allowed on the logging PC's. I think this is a fine
choice as the purpose of WRTC is to differentiate among the top 0.01% of
contesters.

Pulling calls out of a pileup, having a well-known call or having an op
very familiar with thousands of contest calls, is a clear advantage over
SCP by itself. I know from all the NA sprint and NS events, that those
calls are at the very very top of calls my ears can match on just a
fragment. Dan K7SS, his call in CW sent with a bug, I can recognize that in
just a couple dits, don't even need a whole letter!

At the same time, learning how to use SCP efficiently is a skill in itself.
I know for sure, I asked for unnecessary repeats from first-time contesters
who were "one away" from a call already in the database. At same time I
balance that with the calls where SCP helped me

Speaking of first-time contesters not in SCP: not only did I work many
calls in SS that were not in SCP, but in SS Phone I worked at least a dozen
guys and one gal, with checks of 14 and 15, for many of whom this was their
very first sweepstakes. Superb!!!! To notice such an outstanding influx of
new contesters and new hams, was such a joy.

Tim N3QE