[CQ-Contest] Coax Stubs for SO2R

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Oct 5 13:07:36 EDT 2015

On Mon,10/5/2015 7:20 AM, Jukka Klemola wrote:
> Jim,
> I thought placing double stubs on the TX line is not so critical.
> The two band stopping stubs are supposed to be about quarter wave
> apart; on the harmonic band; and that should effectively remove the
> need for extended optimization.
>
> Also, in my experience, if you get approx 30 or 35dB attenuation using
> one stub, you will get more than 45 dB attenuation over the whole band
> when measured in a 50 ohm system.

Sure -- using my DG8SAQ VNWA, I measured peak attenuation of these
double stubs of 55 dB for the 80M stub pair and 59 dB for the 40M pair.
BUT  a monoband antenna is NOT a 50 ohm system at the harmonic
frequency, and the transmitter is NOT a 50 ohm source at the harmonic
frequency.

Most monoband antennas present a very high Z to the line at their 2nd
harmonic, which establishes a very high SWR for the harmonic, so the Z
varies over a wide range along the line. A stub works by placing a short
on the line at the harmonic frequency, and is most effective if placed
on the line where the Z is high. It is MUCH less effective when at a
place in the line where the impedance is much less than 50 ohms.

SO -- with double stubs separated by 90 degrees at the harmonic, the
second stub will always be at a high Z spot on the line, but the first
will depend on where it is along the line.

There is a second issue.  By their nature, the output stages of modern
power amps, both tubes and solid state, produce 2nd harmonic that is
only about 6 dB below the fundamental, and must be filtered by the
amplifier's output network. Most of these networks are designed for 50
ohms, and that is how they are tested.  If the last element of that
network is a capacitor, it will be most effective if it sees 50 ohms or
more as a load AT THE HARMONIC, and least effective if it sees a short.
Likewise, if the last element of the filter is an inductor (Pi-L), it
will be most effective if it sees Z of 50 ohms or less.

I rigged two power amps, a Ten Tec Titan and an Elecraft KPA500 with a
voltage tap at their output terminal into a dummy load and into a double
stub network in line with my 40M dipole. With the stub feeding either
the antenna or the dummy load,  the second harmonic at the output of
both power amps varied by +/- 10 dB as I added short sections of coax to
vary the length of the line between the amp and the stub over more than
180 degrees at the harmonic frequency.

SO -- if we put the stub in the "right" place for the power amp, we get
full performance of it's harmonic suppression network plus the
suppression of our stub(s), but if we put it in the "wrong" place we can
lose as much as 20 dB less of the 2nd harmonic suppression of the output
network.

> At least my measurements show these results:
> -placement not critical for double stub

As you can see from above, that's only true if the antenna is near 50
ohms at the harmonic.

> -attenuation almost doubles in dB compared to one stub

Yes.

> --> I have been building only double stubs nowadays.

Me too.

Another point. When you have done this amount of suppression, you will
likely begin to find other sources of 2nd harmonic, as W3LPL recently
observed (perhaps on another reflector), AND you may also find leakage
paths in your antenna switching system.  I recently replaced a vintage
Six Pack with a 6x2 sold by 4O3A. I measured crosstalk in the 4O3A unit
before installing it and the Six Pack after removing it and found the
4O3A unit had more than 20dB better isolation on 20M.

In hopes of picking up another 6-10 dB of isolation, I am also planning
to replace some of the random vintage patch cables in my station with
newly made jumpers using high quality RG213 and Amphenol 83-1SP connectors.

73, Jim K9YC