[CQ-Contest] When is it OK to refuse to give out a QSO?

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Oct 27 21:27:08 EDT 2015

On Tue,10/27/2015 8:29 AM, Steve London wrote:
> You need to spend time in my shoes, spending the weekend beaming to
> Europe, where my signal is S9++ all day on 20 and 15 meters to W1, 2,
> 3, 4, 8, 9.
>
> N2IC: CQ Contest November Two India Charlie
> KG4HOS: Kay Gee Fower Aitch Oh Ess

We've all experienced "good old boys" like this, and we have to learn
how to get rid of them ASAP.

Stations I will not answer include

1) Those who have refused to send me needed QSLs for previous contests.
VA6AN goes to rare grids for VHF contests, but has yet to send me a card
for three of them. He couldn't believe it when I wouldn't give him an
exchange (and I told him why) this summer. N4VC keeps coming back to VHF
contests, but won't send a card.

2) Those who sign /QRP. I work QRP in some contests, but never sign
/QRP, and I work a lot of 5W (and even 1W) signals in ARRL DX. I know
only because it's part of the exchange.

3) Those who are unsportsmanlike. The subject of this thread seems to be
a prime example.

4) Those whose dirty signals make it hard for other contesters.

5) Those whose audio is so bad that it is hard to copy.

73, Jim K9YC